One of my favorite seasonal summer treats is fried green tomatoes. When early July rolls around, and the first tomatoes appear at the farmer’s market or on your plants, this recipe is always on my mind. It is great by itself, or serve with a side of pasta or grilled steak.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Medium sized, firm, green tomatoes.
Buttermilk (May substitute milk and sour cream mixture)
Italian seasoning (dried basil, dried oregano)
Oil suitable for frying (grapeseed oil, safflower oil, etc)
- Remove core from tomatoes. Slice into quarter-inch thick slices.
- Mix bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and salt to preference.
- Dip sliced tomatoes first in white flour, then buttermilk, then in seasoned bread crumbs.
- When all tomatoes are breaded, heat oil covering the bottom of frying pan. Fry each tomato until lightly browned on each side. Remove from pan and place on paper towel or paper plate to cool.
- Sprinkle with salt and granulated garlic to taste.
- Eat plain or with buttermilk ranch dressing.